Sunday 4 May 2014

Saturday, May 3rd, 2014

Charlottetown/Halifax

Three Provinces

I’m smack in the middle of what’s called The Gentle Province, in the tiny city of Charlottetown which has real live Canadian historical significance.  Here, papers were signed in 1867 declaring confederation.  A nation was born which would shape into a huge country with thousands of trails.

Sobha was host to our party of four, Nitai, Fernanda, Nina and I, who made the trip for the satsang program at Sobha’s home.  Sobha is involved in the government’s accounting and advisory department, and we suggested a portion of the budget be set aside for kirtan chanting projects.  It’s wishful thinking.  With a smile, she agreed that kirtan has rehab and therapeutic effects that are socially advantageous.

In the early morn, while all were asleep, including Sobha’s exotic fish and gerbil, I took a morning walk off to that confederation building, the ocean docks, and the theatre where the popular “Anne of Green Gables” is performed on stage.  All was good.

On the return journey to Halifax, Nova Scotia, I would jump out of the car when we stopped for a refueling.  Down the highway I’d go until the car’s stomach was happy and ready to move forward.  I suggested a second stop at Amherst, New Brunswick, where we could all stretch legs and get some japa meditation in.  In the course of that walk, I met Jonathan, a local bloke.  I praised him for his heroism – walking instead of zipping around in a car.  But he didn’t quite get what I was talking about.

In Halifax, and in our third province, we converged for a gathering at Savitri’s in her condo.  Savitri is a Dutch born lady in her retirement now.  She recently got hit at the knee by a motorist.  It took its toll on her skeletal structure, but she’s strong willed and is going to be fine.

I’m not sure if I were to meet Jonathan again that I would be able to convince him of the automobile’s evil side.  Just how many people get killed annually global wise by the magic machine?  India alone claims 100,000 lives a year.  Conservative figures I’m sure.  I wonder what the collective stats look like.  It would be a number right up there with cancer, heart related diseases, mental disorders, etc.  I’ll bet you that it’s a big figure.  Sorry, but I’m not supposed to gamble.

May the Source be with you!

13 KM

No comments: