Thursday 8 May 2014

Tuesday, May 6th, 2014

Halifax / Toronto
 
Bringing In The Sun
 
While in Halifax, a woman running a boarding house stood outside her building when Nitai and I, in robes, walked by her.  Her immediate reaction was, “Well, are you guys going to give me some sunshine today?”
 
Strange thing is, we did, or someone did after a cloudy day’s start.  She had demonstrated true Nova Scotia hospitality, invited us in, and wanted us to meet one of the tenants of her group home.  As we started to converse, sun did start to leak through the window.  We were treated to orange juice and coconut water.  This would not be an analogy, but perhaps the young fellow that we met, Jonathan, needed someone to shed light on his life.  Nitai and I took the opportunity to encourage Jonathan, give him some hope, since he was struggling with problems at home and the reserve.  Jonathan is native and is from the Ojibwa First Nations.  I hope he will carry some light with him.  Darkness in the form of drug abuse and so many social issues have taxed him.
 
Now, I’ve arrived in Toronto.  The sun has been shining here.  In the shine I took a second trek of the day just to give a break to some desk work that I was at.  In the course of my walk, a house painter who hails from Columbia shouted, “Ram!  Ram!”  He conveyed to me that he has so many friends back home who are practicing the mantra.  This was good news because it was the mantra that acts like the sun.  It has the power to touch something filthy, clean up the place that’s trashy and remain uncontaminated.  In that way the mantra  and the sun are antiseptic and prophylactic. 
 
May the Source be with you!
 
12 KM

No comments: