Monday 9 June 2014

Saturday, June 7th, 2014

Creston, British Columbia

Persevere

There’s no doubt that there is struggle in the matter of walking, even in this almost perfect climate, and in clean mountain air.  I’m not much worried about grizzly encounters, but I’m cautious.  People have been nice, and I have rare to find any redneck dynamic.  Not even a remark of bigotry.  I enjoy the trekking, partially because of the austere side of it.  You do get your aches and pains for sure.  The mind may try to agitate.  That struggle is good. 

Here is what I get out of it, perseverance. 

Todd is a customs officer at a place on the border called Kingsgate.  He saw me when I was just about ready to enter the town Erickson.  He pulled over while on his way to work, “Just curious to know why you’re walking.  After my graduation I trekked from the coast to Creston, where I lived.  I found in the course of my walking I discovered many things about myself.  I did this walk solo.” 

I commended him for his task and agreed that it’s something more people should do.  “You give yourself time to reflect on past, present and future.  It becomes a spiritual experience.”

Amongst the other people I met today, a Jehovah’s Witness woman emerged from a vehicle at a major juncture along the road.  Her driver drove some distance to turn around.   When I first saw her, I was judging by her high heels that she wasn’t prepared to do any serious walking.  She came to me and made it clear that she’s a member of Jehovah.  She came with the journal, ‘The Watch Tower’ in hand.  I was willing to accept the literature only on the basis that she would accept my card with the maha mantra.   I was also of the conviction that if we were going to converse on the basis of my religion/my religion, and how ‘mine’ is the only approach, no!

We managed to keep everything light and leaving each other on the note, “God bless”.  We stayed on common ground.  I didn’t even have to persevere. 

May the Source be with you!

35 KM

No comments: