Monday 2 June 2014

Saturday, May 31st, 2014

Fernie, British Columbia

Miles and Milestones

 After a hearty campout next to gorgeous waterfalls nestled in the mountains, Karuna Sindhu and I emerged from our tent at 3 AM.  In the second tent and automobile slept Michael and Daruka who both deserved the extra mileage of slumber.  In the pitch black of the evening, Karuna and I made our way along on what in broad daylight is viewed as a pure emerald lake.  We then crossed a creek that feeds that magical lake.  Only our mini flashlight guided us through a mountain trail and to Crowsnest Pass going westward.

The stars were multiple sparkles in the sky, and trees discharged their special perfumes as the sun started peeking.

We then hit a milestone – the Alberta/British Columbia border.  That’s 9 down and 1 to go, provincially.  It became a moment of victory I shared with Karuna.

At one point, I ventured on foot alone while Karuna joined Daruka in order to take to camping kitchen duties.  I came to a town called Sparwood, and entered the tourist visitors’ centre.  While there I was informed that Clara Hughes, Canadian Olympic winner for speed cycling and speed skating, had been in the facility earlier that day. This unique athlete, I realized, I met on the road two days earlier.  She was accompanied by two other cyclists near Lundbreck and was having a break when I appeared on the prairie shoulder of the road.  Positioned to reconvene their riding, she saw me, and raised her arm for a high five, and then shouted aloud, “Hey!”  She was all smiles, I didn’t know who she was at the time, but when Michael showed me her picture via the iPhone, sure enough, that was her.  It was another milestone.  I do hope she succeeds in her dreams. 

May the Source be with you!
 
37 KM



No comments: