Tuesday 24 June 2014

Sunday, June 22nd, 2014

Manning Provincial Park, British Columbia

Against Green


Against the green mountain backdrop, I appear like a tiny saffron speck, I’m told.  When Karuna joins me on the road with his usually orangey coloured wear, we are two obvious specks.  Although small in dimension, we stand out at a distance.  The only object that might be standing in our way is another mountain, and as the road circumvents these giants, a driver coming around the bend will suddenly see those two specks become bigger and bigger until he passes us by.

I had a conversation with myself this morning, “Am I a speck?  Because I’m certainly not a saffron clad swami or a monk.  The monk is only a position or a role that’s played out.  I’m not these saffron robes either, they are a cover for the body.  And the body is a cover for the soul.  I am a soul, which is a mere speck according to Vedic authority.”

But my conversation with myself continued, “The self, or the atma (Vedic terms), is small, nevertheless, significant.”  I kept thinking, “When I walk along the road, tiniest of bugs may land upon my bald head.  Despite the bugs’ minuteness, I feel his presence significantly, especially if he bites.  Small can be profound, even important.  When we identify with our tiny spirit or soul and we come to the point of service, to the big Spirit from Whom we’ve come, then we become very significant.”

May the Source be with you!

35 KM

No comments: