Monday 18 August 2014

Friday, August 15th, 2014


Toronto, Ontario

On The Knees


I had been away from my home base for quite a good amount of time this summer.  My walking for the day was quite exclusively in the premises at 243 Avenue Road. I kept to the interior of the building and paced back and forth, more specifically in the temple hall.  For my entire chanting meditation, I chose to stay out of the cooler climate.  Had it become a hot, balmy day, as it often is in the summer, I would have made the escape. 

While in the shelter of the building which I love, I noticed the need for a cleaning – surfaces, shelves, floors.  The edifice is frequented by many peole and maintenance attention lags behind.  I did the necessary, I donned sweat pants and kept to the traditional kurta shirt.  I was inspired by monks of the past who boldly went at it. 

The favourite is Chaitanya Mahaprabhu who orchestrated a healthy competition for collecting dirt and dirt affiliates in the Gundica Temple.  He positioned Himself against an entire group of followers and ended up the winner in comparing heaps of refuse. 

I rather liked going at the scrubbing of the floor and food areas right on the knees.  The after effect of cleaning is perhaps the best, there’s no better feeling.  When cleaning a place, particularly a sacred space, and getting at all the corners, it’s like cleaning the corners of your heart.  It’s highly therapeutic.  Try it out. 

May the Source be with you!

4 KM

No comments: