Saturday 30 August 2014

Monday, August 25th, 2014

Toronto, Ontario

Make Light!


I know some people who visit our ashram and who have challenges in life with imbalance. Whether on medication or not, I advise them to get more physical for their well-being. Such people do seek advice. They sometimes anticipate some spiritual counsel and surely I will deliver.  At the same time I will suggest physical accomplishments – the use of head to toe, the swaying of legs and swinging of arms. In short, the ancient art of walking works.

It is also in walking that one reaches a creative optimum. There are things you see, smell and wander over in the course of movement that helps to bring out the most in an individual.

Sometimes I meet folks who carry extra karma (lbs.-wise) and surely I will tactfully recommend walking. For the slim and trip, I’ll do the same – advise them that their obligation is to stay inspirational to others. “Please remember though, you are not the body. You are the spirit.”

For the youthful, anything to get them for free time from gadgets. “Walking beats all,” I say. To the elderly, well, in his seventies our guru, Srila Prabhupada went on his daily treks. That, along with daily massage boosted longevity. In his own words he said of an emergency doctor, “That was good advice.”

Anyways, what do you expect a “walking monk” to say to an audience of readers? The monk part is about chanting and healing oneself with the subtle flab that hangs around inside you.

“Karma is a heavy thing,” a friend said when he encountered life’s bumps. I agreed with him and said, “Let’s make it light!”

May the Source be with you!

9 KM

No comments: