Thursday 21 August 2014

Sunday, August 17th, 2014

Toronto, Ontario

His Birthday


It’s Krishna’s birthday.  On such occasions you often end up doing something that’s enjoyable.  Along with a dozen community members here, we chose to walk somewhat of an obstacle course just after our morning arati (early morning meditations).

Not all of this group were so highly prepared foot wear wise, because the trek was truly spontaneous for them.  We are also looking at participants that are mostly car bound suburbanites.  They were, however, troopers, excited by our chosen forest setting trail. 

“This trail will remind you of Vrindavan,” I said at the outset, “Krishna’s upbringing turf.”  We then blazed that trail at David Balfour Park, and then the Brickworks where I did my training for long distance walking. 

My pace was slower than usual just to accommodate the crew.  We went down a wiggly trail and let these troopers know that even in the heart of a fair sized city like Toronto, one can derive from it a peaceful greenery. 

Legs were sore (not mine), but smiles were preserved.  “That’s the spirit!”  I told the group.  “Now, we are going to enjoy a packed day of festivities.”  I also reminded them that it’s a full day fast.  Each one of these participants passed the test and had not passed out.  They achieved happy tolerance.  I gave a talk in the evening to a full house on the significance of Janmastami, the birth anniversary of Krishna.  Sitting in front of me was one of the participants, a woman who happened to slip and fall on the moist boardwalk segment of the walk.  She smiled away, though, like anything while I was talking, jubilant like one of Krishna’s peacocks. 

May the Source be with you!

8 KM

No comments: