Saturday 30 August 2014

Tuesday, August 26th, 2014

Toronto, Ontario

Two Directions As One


I had been preparing for the next day’s trip to Muskoka cottage country up north.  Preparatory work for me means two things, one, get my chanting, and two, get my walking in.  Packing is minimal.  I’m only staying overnight.  So the idea is get body and mind tuned up

I ventured through nooks and narrow streets.  I came upon a place I’d never seen before in the city where I live.  I particularly attempted to hit walkways situated away from traffic.  I trekked for the first time up the street from where I live, University Avenue, and trailed down on its gardened strip of the boulevard in the middle.  I was surprised to discover urban labyrinths.  All the while I was chanting except for two instances when I briefly stopped to gesture at a First Nations fellow who was quite drunk, yet he knew enough culturally to offer his pranams when seeing me. 

My next and final encounter was with two Caucasian chaps who did their best at saying “Namaste”.  Both of them, brothers, had been to India.  They spent some time there, then came back to North America only to experience a type of “subtle hostility” as they put it.

“Yes, India’s a place of physical chaos, but mental peace,” was our mutually agreed upon attitude about the country.  Neither communities, east or west, have the ideal situation as they stand on their own.  East and west should be able to find solace in drawing together the strengths from each side. 

So, let there be a marriage, a gorgeous celebration! 

May the Source be with you!

10 KM

No comments: