Saturday 23 August 2014

Wednesday, August 20th, 2014


Toronto, Ontario

Spook Trail


It was an obscure trail and it lead me upwards under welcoming shade.  It meandered a bit up to the ridge’s ascension along Bayview Avenue.  “No one comes here,” I figured, and then I doubted my conclusion, “Well, someone has to, otherwise, it wouldn’t be here.”  It was just by chance I spotted this path in the first place.  It’s totally off the beaten path.  I trekked it and started to question the trail’s direction.  I went up and then it indicated that it’s descending already. 

There, along this super attractive trail was the secret home, a cylindrical tarpaulin structure to a not totally homeless person.  I assumed vacancy at this time of day, 5 PM.  I forged ahead and then decided to retrace steps.  The direction it went was north and I wanted south.

When I came back to this secret lodge, if you will, I noticed a pair of hands at one end of the person’s plastic home, just inside the aperture.  Anticipating some clear directions from the person inside, I said, “Hello, hello?” a few times.  Only the hands were visible, the rest of the body was bundled up and in darkness.  One hand pulled in at the sound of my voice, and the remaining one was jittery.  It was thin and bony and light skinned, and it was moving in a jittery way over a small game board of sorts.  The utter silence spooked me a tad, but rather, helped me to think of Krishna.  I was hoping that at least I’d here a caveman’s grunt. 

With zero answer I was compelled to let instincts guide me, and so I eventually found myself hobbling over the hill into sunshine and stepping right into a healthy patch of poison ivy.  Too late!  I’m done!  I’m susceptible to this ornery plant.  That’s what you get for being slightly adventurous and leaving a main trail.  It’s all fun.  You just keep rolling fingers on the beads and moving your lips to the mantra. 

May the Source be with you!

6 KM

No comments: