Wednesday 24 September 2014

Saturday, September 20th, 2014

Hamilton, Ontario

Happiness in Hamilton


I like the crowd at Shanti Yoga Studio on Main Street in Hamilton.  The hosts, Alex and Jay, are so accommodating.  The people that come to partake in our kirtan and talk are eager, receptive and responsive. 

I teamed up with the Gaura Shakti Bhajan Band, and with Keshava, who does so well with being emcee to our bhakti presentation.  Our experience is that it doesn’t take much to take this group from the lotus sitting position, to elevate up to standing and jumping for chants and dance. 

The mantras used:  “Om namo Bhaghavate vasudevaya”, a Ram mantra, and finally, “Hare Krishna Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama Hare Hare”.
 
Each successive sound got better, more inclusive (participation wise) and became indicative of surrender. 

We are looking at 60 people who have the heart and fervour of the Kelowna, BC response this last summer.

How was the food at the end?  Marvelous!  Our chef, Sachi, put out her best.  Her best love and creativity.  It was prasadam (blessed by God).  I also had the floor to present Tales From Trails, highlighting the practice of an ancient past – walking with purposeful intent.  I relayed to the group how a motorist stopped to offer a ride one day this summer.  I apologized, “I can’t take rides, I’m walking the nation.”

“Is this for personal growth?”  he asked.

And I said, “Absolutely, I’m being totally selfish.”

This in many ways was the message of the night, “Be selfish!  Get strong in order to help others.”  If the chanting doesn’t do it (get you in shape) then I don’t know what will.  Ultimately it’s an individual and collective effort. 

May the Source be with you!

6 KM

No comments: