Friday 19 September 2014

Tuesday, September 16th, 2014

Toronto, Ontario
 
There is Something Higher
 
Here’s what happens when you’re a monk and you’re dressed in regular civilian attire.  It was raining yesterday and I decided to relieve my robes of damage often done when trekking through a potential drencher.
 
Dimitri and I took to a walk on Yonge Street.  The purpose was to chant on our beads as much as it was offering company while walking back to his apartment after a visit to our ashram.
 
At the street light by Bloor a young fellow, obviously from small-town Ontario, with his two buddies, inquired about directions.  “Can you tell us where the strip club is?”  Although I knew a location due to it being on my regular walking route, I feigned ignorance.  “Listen, we’re monks!” I held up my meditation beads to point out our endeavour towards other-worldliness.  The fellow shrugged his shoulders and eagerly pranced ahead of us with his two buddies.
 
It got me thinking.  These guys are very young.  There are so many more wholesome things one could do.  Indeed, the Creator designed the female body to be beautiful and such holds true for the male form.  Why does this human body have to be approached in cheapness, with such short-term value?  The young men will see a showgirl performance, derive some stimulation and leave agitated and with an opinion that women are toys for boys.
 
There are higher proven ways to enjoy.  As the “Bhagavad-gita” explains, param drstva nivartante. “There is a higher taste” which makes all other endeavours inferior due to short-term aggrandizement.
 
Let pleasure lost! Go spiritual!
 
May the Source be with you!
 
10 KM

No comments: