Tuesday 7 October 2014

Thursday, October 2nd, 2014

You Want Lasting Happiness for Them

Brampton, Ontario

I believe it was the first engagement I ever attended.  A young couple from our community exchanged rings with a low-key type of ceremony.  Actually the ceremony took the shape of none other than kirtan which I lead.

I chose a melody not used often but one I've heard from Vaishnavas in Vrindavan.  The family of the young man who master-minded the quiet function responded so well to a tune they had not heard before.  It just came natural to them.  I was impressed.

Although I am who I am with socail status as a monk, I do participate in such functions which involve couples when it comes time to solemnize marriages.  Persons like myself in the renounced order want to see people succeed in their dharmic relationships.  We wish to see couples stay together.

In fact, on my way to the Brampton destination while I was on foot a rather committed couple I've known through the years spotted me on Eglinton Ave trudging along.  They pulled over in wonder to my being in their neighborhood.  It's a Sri Lankan couple in their mid-life age.  With their children of university age the family's done good.  I recall how for years they delivered newspapers daily in our ashram neighborhood.  They were highly regimented at this.  You have to be.  I used to admire watching them take turns behind the wheel of the car and the doing that door-to-door delivery.  They kept physically active putting in a few kilometers every day.

A happy couple they are.  Happy couples means happy children.  A positive contagion.

You know, it never fails.  Each time I trek a major thoroughfare there's always someone to recognize you, they will stop, turn around and get to where you are and make re-acquaintance.  It's just one more plus behind exposing yourself to the out-of-doors and using those legs.

The young engagement couple picked me up at Eglington and Martin Grove in order to have a great stir-fry Thai type of dinner.

May the Source be with you!

15 KM

No comments: