Thursday 16 October 2014

Thursday, October 9th, 2014

Toronto, Ontario
 
Origins of Walking
 
 
I had Googled the topic "Origins of Walking".  And the response I received was not surprising.  You'll get all this speculation (directions Darwin) about when apes came out of trees and became erect.  That's when they, or we, apparently learned how to walk. 
 
There is tons of material on You-Tube about moon walking.  Very entertaining! And this is pre-Michael Jackson material.  Yes, he has predecessors.  There's a succession of moon-walking dancers.  Michael was not the inventor. 
 
When I was twenty and I started mantra meditation and reading the Bhagavad-gita, I became so filled in thought with the Gita's speaker, Sri Krishna.  I used to imagine Him walking next to me on the way to school, even in the snow.  I had superimposed Him as a walking companion.  Reading about His being the Source, the origin of all, I concluded that walking began with Him.  He did this with grace, a good stride and not touching the ground.  Snow?  Yes, He might heave imprints in the fluffy white stuff.
 
Walking in that phase in my life and having Him next to me gave me good reason not to bus or hitch-hike to college.  At least I could say that my imaginative mind was put to good use.  The subject, Krishna, and the object, Krishna was reassuring to me.  I felt safe walking as traffic roared by me.
 
Regarding origins of walking, I am not sold on evolutionary theories.  I always felt a Creator, someone whom you and I can and cannot perceive; someone who mystically (beyond scientific explanation) can travel and not have human legs.
 
It is natural to be logical about life.  It is also natural to believe in the unexplainable.  As the Gita expresses in its final verse, there is someone called Yogeshvara, the Supreme Mystic.
 
May the Source be with you!
 
5 KM

No comments: