Wednesday 29 October 2014

Tuesday, October 21st, 2014

Hyderabad, India

Woe Is Me


I merely spent a few hours at ISKCON Hyderabad.  Hyderabad is a progressive city in the south, population I was told is 8 million.  Traffic is very full.  You are a hero to cross the street in the downtown rush.  Cars rule here, walkers have a tough time to triumph.  I had asked about a quiet walking trail near ISKCON’s guest house where I stayed overnight.  The response, in the local language (Telegu, I believe) was, “No way.”  Consolingly, the temple itself has a shanti  or peaceful atmosphere where one can pace up and down in a safe fashion. 

The night prior I was asked to chant and then to speak from the Gita, 2.60, “The senses are so strong and impetuous, Oh Arjuna, that they forcibly carry away the mind, even of a man of discrimination who is endeavouring to control them.”

This entire day, however, was an in the air experience.  Embarking from Hyderabad to London and then Toronto, I had given most time to reading devotional material.  It was in the beginning of the trip that mercy came my way – love really.  The person looking after me with room service in Tirupati, and a much needed massage, is actually from Hyderabad.  And while I was waiting for the day’s first flight, airport authorities sought me out at the waiting area and handed a phone to me.  The call came in from this same fellow, Vijay Kumar by name, but I couldn’t decipher who he was or what he was saying.  I took the call as a mistake.  Minutes later Vijay had driven all the way to the airport and had prasadam (divine food) of dosas and sambar, South Indian specialties, packaged in a small bag which was sent through security tagged and all.  He left a note inside the bag.

I was surprised at Vijay’s kindness.  He went through such an extent to cook a meal for me and to see that I didn’t have to fully rely on airplane food.  With this loving sentiment, I left India.  As I always experience, I am left with heart melting gestures from people of that devotional land.  Yes there is this crazy hustle bustle about the place, but there is always an underlying spirit of bhakti in the atmosphere.  I only feel bad that I can’t reciprocate with Vijay.  I did not pick up his number during my stay.  Woe is me!

May the Source be with you!

0 KM  Except for all the walking done in the corridors of Heathrow Airport.

No comments: