Thursday 13 November 2014

Thursday, November 6th, 2014

Caledon, Ontario

Students – Yay!


I was asked this evening, “How are you?” and my response was, “I’m just fine because I had a chance to speak to students today.” 

Nisheeta Menon is a Catholic teacher at Robert F. Hall Secondary School, and had invited Keshava,  a coordinator at our ashram, and I, to give a presentation at their school.  We were to discuss the Hindu path, and more particularly, the higher consciousness of Krishna. 

Keshava and I drove to the precincts of Toronto and beyond.  We were gliding through, or so it seemed (he’s fast and sharp behind the wheel).  We went through rolling hills of trees, and at their base, wetlands and cornfields, and perfectly manicured lots with mansions.  Finally, we arrived at the usual square looking educational facility and then to meet the lively staff at the school’s main office. 

The gracious Nisheeta lead us to the lecture room, where soon, two groups of grade 11 students filled the seats.  Keshava and I began our talk, explaining first the literal meanings of our names.  Then, a day in the life of a monk (me), and the life of a young professional (Keshava) in the context of Krishna being in the centre of everything.  We showed visuals, offered some words of the Gita’s philosophy, and then chanted and danced, with the students, of course. 

That last bit was the highlight for them, and for us.  Questions came from their curious minds when Keshava and I alternately responded to everything about the nature of the soul, to why we are vegetarian.  The reward to our job done was fruit, cashews, smiles and appreciations from staff and students.  It made our day.  On our return journey back to our downtown ashram, I mentioned to Keshava how I dealt with my early morning fatigue while giving a class from the book, Bhagavatam.  I read verses from the book, actual words of a very motivated sage, Shukracharya.  I read them to our group of monks with a Dracula accent which met with their approval.  It perked everyone up, including myself. 

Keshava and I had a good laugh and a good day with students. 

May the Source be with you!

5 KM

No comments: