Tuesday 2 December 2014

Sunday, November 16th, 2014

Brampton, Ontario

Thinking About Walking


Even when I’m not on one of those walking marathons, I find the opportunity to think about or talk about the next venture.  While on flight back to Toronto, I spoke to the passenger next to me, a woman from Halifax, about my previous and anticipated treks.  She took a fancy to what I was saying in regards to these adventures. 

Yes, I do miss the road.  I can’t wait to get back.  We’ll just let the winter pass.  Now, with the current snow seen and felt, when on a short jaunt in Brampton, I realized the limitations of walking.  But it’s not full restrictions.  The stuff was coming down like those perfect light crystal flakes, and even later in downtown Toronto for a second take on my mobile feet, a wetter version of snow descended on the nose, giving a tickling sensation.  Still, I can walk. 

As long as you have the out of doors, as long as you have a good runway so to speak, you can walk in almost any condition.  I’m reminded of the ill fated, though heroic, Franklin expedition, sent from England in the mid 19th century, with the intent to explore a northwest passage to the east, a ship was jammed in ice and snow.  Crew members were forced to venture through a forbidden wilderness in Canada’s far north on foot, taking refuge.  They did a lot of trudging through thick snow.  Unfortunately no one survived those walks.  Sir John Franklin and his men were stricken with frostbite on top of the lead poisoning. 

It’s tales like this, like the Franklin expedition, that tell of incredible bravery, and makes me think that in this life I can’t claim to have done anything heroic on that magnitude. 

May the Source be with you!

5 KM

No comments: