Friday 19 December 2014

Thursday, December 11th, 2014

Port Coquitlam, British Columbia

I Was Driven


I was driven to Port Coquitlam in one of those new electric cars, a Tesla model.  It drives real smooth, still, I wouldn’t trade walking for a fancy car ride anywhere, any day.  It was simply practical taking this mode of travel. 

What was the attraction to Port Coquitlam?  Food, rather, the people who prepared it.  Jogender and family invite like routine each time I come to Vancouver.  It’s custom to host a sadhu, holy person, to one’s home, bathe the person’s feet in clean water, after his long walk, and then feed that same mendicant.  In exchange, the mendicant will offer words of inspiration. 

Now, in my case, I was a guest who was not worthy of a soothing foot wash.  I didn’t trek to Jogender’s home, I was not a weary or worthy traveller.  I wish though, that I could put in more time to trekking. 

I did slide a few minutes in with Peter near the Chinese farms in Burnaby.  Peter is a gardener and looks after the grounds at the ISKCON temple.  As an outdoors type of person, he thrives on physical activity.  With the gardening, he earns his keep, and also washes his feet, and all that above those feet after a day’s work. 

As  bhakti yoga practitioners, cleanliness becomes a part and parcel of habit.  One get cleansed with water externally, and with mantra internally. 

Back to Jogender’s home and the food.  What can I say?  Good hosts, great food.  Thank you. 

May the Source be with you!


5 KM

No comments: