Monday 19 January 2015

Friday, January 9th, 2014

Georgetown, Guyana

Missing One

Jaya and Vijay were two mangy dogs that would sleep at the entrance of the home where I stay.  This year I see only one of them.  One got eliminated, as in passed on.  It’s either Jaya or Vijay; couldn’t tell them apart, and they weren’t particularly great to look at, being diseased.  You see, they didn’t have names according to neighbours, and since they had been loyal, at the gate, I named them after the two celebrated gatekeepers at Vaikuntha. 

I photographed the surviving one while he was fast asleep in the middle of the day.  This picture will remind me of loyalty.  Although stray dogs, I imagine by definition, they did demonstrate territorialism at one main location, that is, where I get accommodated on 4th Street in Guyana. 

Our chanting procession took place today on Regent Road, the main drag for the city.  Response is generally good, although I could detect mild resistance, or at least indifference, from the African Guyanese.  Many of them would claim to be Christian.  In fact there was a large Evangelical concert held one block from our evening venue which was located at the Ghandi Youth Centre. 

It’s easy to say that both camps, us and them, honour the same God.  The approach is similar – praise the sound, praise the name.  Let’s say there’s a brothership here, brothers that should get along. 

Whether in procession or with a small group, or a solo by the seawall, I managed to get some trekking done while in Guyana each day.  Thanks to Krishna Jnan and Dharma Dasi for the stay and the place of loyalty by the two gate keepers. 

May the Source be with you!

7 KM

No comments: