Friday 3 April 2015

Tuesday, March 17th, 2015

Toronto, Ontario

It’s March Break


It’s March break, which means so many young folks, especially those from the secondary school level, the teens, are out on the street.  Despite a wind with a biting cold, they were out on Yonge Street downtown, ‘where all the lights are bright’, and ‘where everything’s waiting for you’.  Nick and I were making our way to the evening Bhakti Lounge kirtan event.  Pedestrians were moving at a good clip, it’s the way to keep warm.  One tall fellow, who looked like a Punjabi, blurted out with an enthusiastic, “Hari Bol!” which means, “Chant the name of Hari (God)!”  He passed by so quickly that I couldn’t recognize him.  Oh well, a man of mystery. 

Kirtan at the lounge went well, followed by a vegan dinner where we had time to mingle with those who choose to take a break from the material world. 

My return to the ashram was the same route, Yonge Street, where all the lights are even brighter now that nighttime is upon us.  It was Dimitri who accompanied me, when the same man of mystery uttered once again, “Haribol!” in the most jovial way.  From the crowd of pedestrians emerged this same fellow from before.  He stopped.  He was a little shy and tried to hide his cigarette with hand behind his back.

“You don’t know me, but I know you.  I was one year old when I had my birthday party in your temple, so my parents tell me.  I’ve seen you over the years, haribol.”  We shook hands in a hearty way.  It was a good exchange.  For me, hearing haribol from a happy face changes the way I view this street of big time maya, illusion.

May the Source be with you!

7 KM

No comments: