Sunday 24 May 2015

Tuesday, April 28th, 2015

Tuesday, April 28th, 2015
Toronto, Ontario

People in the Park


We had a lovely lunch in Cabbage Town at the home of pujaris (priests).  Rupa and Sanatan Goswamis are the proprietors at their haven of a home.  It is walkable from our ashram.  It’s 18 degrees Celsius, it’s sunny – yes!  And so, to and fro, I took to my feet, or rather, they took me. 

To reach Cabbage Town, you go through an interesting neighbourhood.  Once a heavy drinking area, the now quiet colonial buildings are attracting young professionals.  Down Parliament Street you’ll find antique shops and more of the regular convenience and grocery stores, and even one block of Tamil shops which cater to the Sri Lankan community. 

I passed by a bus stop cubicle and two obvious alcoholics who sat inside, upon seeing me, got really excited. 

“Heeeyyy!” Both simultaneously shouted out the one syllable perfectly, and they were loud.  Heads turned to see what was up.  They got the thrill of their day.

Nothing related to this mild incident, but minutes later, two young women were walking and conversing, and as they passed by, I heard one say to the other, “What goes around comes around.”  Whenever I hear this phrase I clearly see it as an accepted phenomenon.  The endorsement of transmigration of the soul, or reincarnation.  And as I think about this concept, I look at the different people I pass by.  Some look rather disheveled and bent over, and some walk upright, dressed with confidence.  We all have our own individual destinies.  Our souls all travel with different karma behind us. 

After the great lunch and my return to the ashram, I walked through the park, it is directly north of our ashram.  It’s newly renovated and on the inscription along the sidewalk there reads an excerpt from a poem  by J. McPherson.  She was a well known Canadian poet that lived in our neighbourhood.  Right close to the maple tree planted in honour of our guru, Srila Prabhupada, reads this stanza:

The world was first a private park
Until the angel after dark
Scattered afar to wests and easts
The lovers and the friendly beasts

May the Source be with you!


8 km

No comments: