Friday 10 July 2015

Monday, June 22nd, 2015

Monday, June 22nd, 2015

St. John's, Newfoundland

Questions

"Excuse me, but did you see a monk down the trail?"  The middle-aged robust- looking man stopped
cycling and adjusted his helmet while readying himself for the answer to my question.  "Well, what does he look like?" he first asked. 

"Like me, but younger," as I explained who Brihat was and who was to meet me on this trail lined with trees on both sides.

"What kind of monk? Hindu?"

"Well your close," said I. "A Hare Krishna monk!"

"Nope!  I haven't," he said.  I was relieved to know that even though his accent was strong, I just didn't hear an "eh" at the end of any of what he had to say.  Indeed, I was enlightened on this very day, that Newfoundlanders do not say "eh" like most rural Canadians when finishing a statement.  They may say "bai" when referring to brother.  The women may say "darlin'" or "love" to address, and that's all kind of nice.

Anyway I made friends with the guy and Brhat, who had driven ahead with the deal to meet me on the path finally did show in his robe attire.  We were meant to dash off then to Jan's place to prepare a
meal.  Brhat's kichari, a traditional Indian dish, was a killer, so was Jan's apple crisp sweetened with
coconut sugar.  Jan's partner, Leo, a high court Judge, broke from golf for the meal and company.  Other locals came to the lunch table for food and good questions lodged towards Brihat and I. 
Questions did not finish for the day.  For a second round, eighty people showed up at Memorial
University , at a lecture hall with queries about pilgrim travels and Vedic philosophy.
Questions are a big part of my life.  I use them.  I answer them.

May the Source be with you!

8 km

No comments: