Tuesday 15 September 2015

Monday, September 7th, 2015

Monday, September 7th, 2015
North York, Ontario

Pre-School Opening

A woman on her way, turning a corner to enter Govinda's dining room, noticed me sitting in the office. She was quite animated.

"Oh, remember me? You shaved off my son's hair twenty-five years ago at his mandan. She was referring to the standard rite of passage in the ancient Vedic tradition. I have shaved plenty of adult and baby heads and her child was one of them.

I asked her, "Did his hair grow back?"

Facetiously she replied, "Did it ever! Now it's all over his face!"

"Yes, he grew up." I said.

She laughed. "His head of hair has been quite long and he sports a stylish beard," she said. "I tell him to cut his hair but he doesn't listen. I have to hand it to him though, when he goes for a new job then he goes to the barber."

"Have him come to the temple. We'll take him as it is. Maybe he'll become a monk and your worries about excessive hair will dissipate."

The lively lady offered her pranams and went on to eat.

Two of my sisters, Connie and Pauline, came to visit. We walked to a park that Connie and I rested at when we were moderate hippies and country bumpkins coming to experience the big city. That was in the summer of '72. Yes, we had hair in keeping with the style of the day.

Today, we hit a milestone. A small team of devotees opened up a branch of a Montessori pre-school called 'Vedic Roots.' It was the good lady herself, Dr. Maria Montessori, who expressed this about the particular approach of schooling that she started, "Montessori is an education for independence, preparing not just for school but for life." I wish she was personally with us to say it.

It was the orientation for teachers, parents, and some students. Personally I view the project as something ground-breaking. My comment is, "Real education runs in the parallel lines of wisdom, both devotional and practical, coming together to provide the child ultimate happiness."

 
May the Source be with you!

6 km

No comments: