Wednesday 23 September 2015

Thursday, September 17th, 2015

Thursday, September 17th, 2015
Toronto, Ontario

I Was Walking

I was walking south on Jarvis Street and came full stop at a street juncture. Also waiting for the lights to change was one other person, a young man, tall, bespectacled, and with a partial beard. I thought, “Let me open my mouth, let me try friendship.”

“The climate this evening is just perfect, isn’t it?”

“Agreed.”

“It doesn’t get better than these last few nights.” There’s a pause. “Are you from the city?” I asked.

“Most of my life I’ve lived here but frankly I moved about 30 times to different locations.”

“What? Were your parents with the Canadian Forces that they were assigned to different posts?”

“Not really,” said the young man, “my parents separated when I was young."

“How did you handle that? It must have been tough?”

“Yes, it was,” he admitted. “I eventually got over it. It took a lot of time.”

“Do you think you’ve learned from the experience? I mean to say, there comes a time when we reach the same juncture like what your parents went through, such as their likely disagreements which arose before they decided to part?”

“In time I learned to be very careful about everything,” he said and then he indicated with a smile that he had to take a right while I continued straight down Jarvis.

I was content to have an easy chat with someone I didn’t know and about something quite personal. “Very careful” is what lingered and in my mind I quite concur with the policy. On further deliberation though, I felt that even with prudence, mistakes, mishaps, and misdemeanors come about. It then becomes necessary to have some anchor in life, something to ground you, or else, you become an emotional wreck.

My simple answer on this subject would be that we must cultivate our love for the Divine, and then we can weather any storm.

 
May the Source be with you!

5 km

 

No comments: