Wednesday 9 September 2015

Wednesday, September 2nd, 2015


Wednesday, September 2nd, 2015
Toronto, Ontario

Humid

Dense moisture hung in the air. It decided to spill heavily in the form of rain and just when one of our visiting monks was departing. Navayogendra Swami hails from Northern India and makes his pilgrimage here, jet-setting (no criticism implied here). Yes, he had put Toronto on his itinerary before leaving for Vancouver.

The downpour came, but for five minutes or less, and as the swami was leaving a young couple from South Africa arrived – Tamohara and fiancĂ©, Merumala. They are trying out ashram living for a week in a place new to them – Canada. They’ve also come to see me and this is one of the reasons for grounding myself for the week.

Welcome to Canada!

Humidity persisted, even into the night, and there was no way I was going to sleep easy. It meant a trek down any old wayward street. I decided on the ancient trail, Davenport. Here, indigenous folks did tread but it hardly looks like the days of yore. It is now a so-called ‘developed’ area. From there I moved onto Yonge Street which is also very built up.

I was my usual self, calm, robed, and with japa meditation beads in hand (the right one) going southbound. Groups of people passed by me, mostly youthful ones. One group of lads ‘from the burbs’ I thought, walked by me but one with a baseball cap stopped in front reminding me of Krishna merely by his stance. No, he did not take the iconic three-fold bending form that Krishna is known for, rather, he stood before me in pranam format, that is, hands folded together. It was Shrey, the son of my secretary, a pious young teenager, who like many of his friends with a Krishna background, gives me a reminder of the Supreme.

Thanks for that, Shrey.

Immediately I thought, "Do you know where your children are?" thinking about the parents. But Shrey is quite old enough. He mentioned he just came from the game. The city’s baseball team, the Blue Jays, are having a great season so there’s a bit of a hype in the air. Anyways, it was a pleasant surprise and that little incident was worth the experience on this humid night.

 

May the Source be with you!

6 km

No comments: