Sunday 25 October 2015

Monday, October 19th, 2015


Monday, October 19th, 2015
Rural Valley, Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania People

Bill was right on the road to greet me.  He shook my hand and I remarked that he’s got farmer’s hands, big and callous-like.  It was a compliment of course and he took it that way.  “Well, more like coal miners’ hands,” he said in good fun.  We talked and I could see he was a very God conscious man.  In fact, he asked for a blessing since he’s having kidney issues.  He removed his hat, I placed my right palm on his forehead and recited a Sanskrit mantra for protection.  He was grateful.

I also came upon two country folks at the side of their yard.  Two gentlemen.  They had been looking with an eager eye as to what I was all about.  Handshakes again.  “I’m Bhaktimarga Swami, Swami for short.  I’m a monk and I’m walking.  I started from Boston.”  Surprised, they were.  They offered iced tea.  We chatted.  One of the fellows said, “Only Catholics have monks, right?”

“Actually, there’s a whole history of monastic life within Hinduism and Buddhism, big time.”

I asked them if they were familiar with Hare Krishna and the response was no.  I asked if they had heard of Broadway’s production, ‘Hair’.

“Yes!”

And so that was their reference point.

Further down the road I met some teenage Amish girls with dresses and bonnets.  They were gathering walnuts on the side of the road.  I could see they were shy.

“Hello, how are you?  What do you do with them?”

“We make pies with the walnuts and cakes.”

“God bless,” I said.

Not but ten minutes later on in my walk, there was a team of horses, two in number, that were yoked to a wagon standing stationary at the side of the road.  Right next to them, in a corn field, was an Amish farmer along with two women who were manually breaking off corn and tossing it into the wagon.  I asked if he could toss me one for a souvenir, so he did and suggested that they are good for corn bread.

“Thanks, God bless.”

In Pennsylvania country I see it’s much to do about family, food, work, and God.   That’s good.

May the Source be with you!

21 miles / 33 km

No comments: