Saturday 2 January 2016

Monday, December 28th, 2015

Monday, December 28th, 2015
Brampton, Ontario

I Question

Sometimes I question if members of bhakti-yoga can be serious about their practice, because at times I see a bit of frivolity. Sometimes emotions and feelings prevail over sobriety. This may hold true for a practitioner like myself. I may take the process of devotion lightly and cater to a more selfish level of output from the psychological center of myself. But, it is at such times that I attempt to search for strength from within.

Speaking less so of my own experience, it was my group of actors from the community, some experienced in the acting field, and some not- who I anticipated would be fairly casual during our rehearsal the day before for the drama ‘Krishna Is’. We had this schedule slotted out from 8 AM to 1 PM. The end result was that our cast of 20 or so members, of primarily a younger generation, worked so sincerely. I felt like I was working at a movie set where all participants are on a high payroll and are all serious.

On the contrary, here we were, not at a studio, but in our sizable temple room, where everyone had come on a voluntary basis. I would say real bhakti shone through.

I give much credit to Raj who stepped forward to manage the actors and the techies, and as an end result, we whipped together a phenomenal show held at the Lester B. Pearson Theatre in Brampton as part of a larger program, Bhakti Mela. This event also featured great kirtan leader, Gaura Vani, from DC, and from New York, Ananta on drums, and from Florida, Kanya Kumari, who danced out classical moves of bharat natyam. The modest size hall of 400+ seats reached full capacity despite the ugly snow/sleet storm outside.

I was proud of the crew, the chanters, the dancers, and dramatists. Thanks to the organizer, Savyasachin, whom I sometimes refer to as ‘Savy’, and company, for a successful cultural presentation. Our guru, Srila Prabhupada, would be pleased.

May the Source be with you!

0 km

No comments: