Sunday 24 January 2016

Tuesday, January 19th, 2016

Tuesday, January 19th, 2016
Miami, Florida

Gator Glade

I learned a lot from visiting the Everglades National Park. I didn’t know that the male mosquito pollinates the local orchid. I was unaware that there is a water plant in the glades that consumes mosquito larvae. That makes it a carnivorous entity. I also didn’t know that at mating time, the bull alligator physically poses himself in a curved position, makes a call to lure the female, and when they meet, he pulls her down with her testing him to see if he succeeds at keeping her down, then she accepts the romance. Otherwise, she leaves with the attitude, ‘see you later, alligator’.

Yes, the walk and the ride by tram were both educational. Experience also confirmed for me after seeing, hearing, and some interaction with birds and animals (no, we didn’t get too close to the gators), that the creatures of the wild are easier to deal with than humans.

Back at the Miami Iskcon Centre, I saw a good side of humans, which was one of cooperation and enthusiasm. Basically, I was facilitating a group of Krishna followers in organizing sankirtan in three categories – food, book, and mantra distribution. This approach to devotional life is generally a morale booster. Everyone went home feeling fulfilled, renewed and hopeful at the prospect of increasing their devotional output.

My final adventure of the day was an encounter with the police. I was walking in the dark in a residential neighborhood near my host’s home when a police cab pulled over. The officer coming out asked what I was doing. I explained.

“I got a couple of calls, people here don’t see too many monks in orange robes.”

I explained, “I’m visiting, I’m from Canada.” I gave him my card.

Two more police cars came over after they received the report. The police just came over to say they wanted to see the walking monk. They were congenial, kind, although in the beginning of the urgent calls they received, it was likely a response to terroristic paranoia.

May the Source be with you!

6 km

 

No comments: