Thursday 7 January 2016

Wednesday, December 30th, 2015

Wednesday, December 30th, 2015
Ypsilanti, Michigan


The Killing Machine

The book “Lessons from the Wild” by Shayamal Vallabhjee, dedicated to my dear god brother and monk Bhakti Caru Swami, changes a person’s way of looking at animals. In the read I took particular interest in the honey badger known as a killing machine that has earned the title “most fearless animals in the world”. Ruthless in battle, despite the size of it’s the opponent (lions, tigers, bears and wolves rarely attack the ferocious badger) this guy apparently can teach us that although the road ahead may not be an easy one, a positive attitude is everything. Fearless he is. It is a quality listed in the divine category. According to Sri Krishna’s teachings “Fearlessness has much to do with attitude- our mental approach to the task at hand” says the author.

I also like the reference from Allen H. Nueharth, who is quoted saying “I quit feeling afraid when my first venture failed and the sky didn’t fall down”.

Apparently badgers are found in North America. I recall meeting up with one in B.C., not a honey badger but an American badger. He did meet his opponent alright. It wasn’t me. It was a car. I have a clear recollection of the image from my walk in ’96. I have understood that aggressiveness is a trait of the badger and I guess you can compare it to the boldness we must apply to duty and irregular tasks. I spoke about the honey badger to a group in Farmington, just to make the point about yogis being fearless during their asanas (sitting postures) in the jungle. When a small group of us ventured to the university at Anna Arbor today I admit to being touched by fear since our purpose was chanting. What will people think in the prestigious school? We were five minutes into the chant. Joy took over and I felt there was nothing to worry about.

May the Source be with you!

7 km

 

No comments: