Monday 11 April 2016

Monday, March, 28th, 2016

Monday, March, 28th, 2016
Durban, South Africa

Looking At the Cooking

Before my morning circle stroll around the temple I decided to pay a visit to the guys doing all the cooking for the big event, “The Chariot Festival.”  Beginning at midnight about two to three dozen men fill these pots (40 plus) with broad beans on one side and rice in the other side.  Many kilos of grains go in each pot for the cooking, and each pot serves one hundred people.  Yesterday the meal prepared was biryani, something South Africans love.  Today the alternate preps were on “The Beans,” Anil told me.

I was there to show support to Anil and his comrades as we all stood in the smoky atmosphere.  “We ordered these pots from India, but we made a more high-teck burner underneath.  With the metal wall around the burning wood it saves a lot of the fuel,” said Anil.

The room where I'm accommodated is on the second story just above the outdoor kitchen.  I hear the crackling of the fire during my light sleep.  Sometimes a gust of smoke bellows up to make a partial appearance in my room.  I also hear the chatting of the cooks below, but it is the chatter of happy chaps. My sleep is slightly interrupted at times, but I really don't mind since it is a small trance of “devotional commotion.”

Such interruptions are too little to be agitated.  After all the cooks are doing such a noble thing, cooking night after night for the hundred thousand head count.

Unsung heroes!

May the source be with you!

7 km

No comments: