Monday 11 April 2016

Wednesday, March 9th, 2016

Wednesday, March 9th, 2016
Kolkata, India

Kolkata at Last 

So here we are, a four hour drive from Mayapur on National Highway 43, and Kaliyani landed us at the Iskcon Center on Albert Road.  It was years since I was here.  I was glad to see a healthy renovation on this old, British-colonial home, now resembling a temple, men’s ashram with guest facility, and restaurant.

At 2:30 PM I was scheduled to give a class to the bramacharis, monks.   There are, according to their records, about 70 men living in these quarters.  Most of them came around. I suppose the balance were in Mayapur at the kirtan mela.  I ended up speaking about the glories of walking: how it was traditional amongst the renounced order, how it becomes a boost to the health, how it is making a green statement, and also how it becomes an excellent way to contact and interact with the public.

The boys, monks, were curious to know of the methodology.  “How and where do you sleep at night?  What do you eat when on the road?  How many kilometres do you put in a day?”

I answered all the questions and then asked for their feedback on the presentation.  They seemed rather inspired.  I don’t think I’ll catch them organizing a special padayatra festival on foot.  However, I was hoping to see if any one of them would cross the road to circumambulate the small lake at Victoria Park.This is the lake that our guru, Srila Prabhupada, had walked around in the ‘70’s.

“Walking does most definitely assist the walker in developing a sense of detachment to the world,” is what I told these young men.

May the Source be with you!

3 km

No comments: