Saturday 25 June 2016

Monday, June 13th, 2016

Monday, June 13th, 2016
Dunes at Lake Michigan, Indiana

Walk, Don’t Run!

There were an array of trails I did sojourn-- on the lakeshore of Michigan City, along dunes of some magnitude, then along the Calumet Trail, populated by puddles, and finally a stretch alongside Highway 12.

However, ZIP! Off we go to South Bend, back to Notre Dame University to meet Father Jim Bracke.  Our discussion was both light and grave.  I asked him about Martin Luther, the defected priest.

“That the Ecumenical Council II addressed this and admitted mistakes were made.”

I also asked him about the letter of the law, or going literal on scriptures but not on the spirit.  He confirmed that the spirit was more important.

I was also happy to hear that a men’s movement, of sorts, had arisen among the Catholics, concerning men taking more responsibility.

He had seen our style of beads (japa) before.  I was not there to preach, of course.  What was our team to tell him?  We were there to share, and in that light we offered him a copy of “Bhagavad-Gita As It Is.”

Now on my way to a massage appointment in Chicago, a woman at an intersection where I had crossed stopped her car and asked,

“Hey, honey, do me a favour.  Give me $2.50”

I could not share, because I hadn’t anything on me.

“You see, I’m a monk. I have nothing on me!”

“Really?”  She drove off.

Now Tony, who’s 62, did a good massage.  Once in a while he comes around to the Hare Krishna Temple to wash pots. When clients ask him about the best work-out, he shares a few things as follows:

1)    Walk, don’t run!
2)    Clean the house!
3)    Do some gardening!
4)    Eat veggies and greens

He was elated to work on my cross-country body.

“Ankle bones are perfect. That’s rare!”

And lastly, he remarked, “Your bones are dense, strong. That’s because you’re walking.”

May the Source be with you!

14 miles

No comments: