Tuesday 19 July 2016

Monday, July 11th, 2016

Monday, July 11th, 2016
Iowa City, Iowa

Instant Everything

When I explained to the officer I met today, the purpose of my walking, which is to encourage “the slowing-down culture,” he was right on board.

“Yes, of course, people are so accustomed to instant everything.  I have to have this and that and I have to have it now,” he remarked.  He was implying that there’s little patience.

He was nice.

When I think about the consistent professions or vocations that I meet, it’s got to be cops and journalists.  They’re great people to have as part of your day.  Both professions help to “keep me on my toes,” so to speak.

To the journalist from the Gazette, Madison was her name, I told of the historical significance of this year, 2016, and what it means for followers of the Hare Krishna leader, Srila Prabhupada.  On July 13th, 1966, his unique community, ISKCON, became a legal entity.  It’s been 50 years.

“We are an ancient tradition with roots from India, but we are newly packaged, done in such a way that our lifestyle can be relevant to a western world as well.”  I did, in fact, let her know that I’m hoping to inspire a slower pace of life through walking.  I also mentioned to her what the police told me earlier on.

“Someone phoned in after seeing me in my exotic garb and figured out that I’m not necessarily from the prison, but perhaps someone who escaped from the local mental institution.”

May the Source be with you!

19 miles



No comments: