Thursday 1 December 2016

Friday, November 25th, 2016

Habana, Cuba 

Disappointing Points


At the Indian Embassy, Vijayalakshmy Sunderrajan had a chat with us shortly after we offered a gift of the thirty-volume book Srimad Bhagavatam, and she told us something about India.  Statistics show that India is No. 2 in the world in regard to diabetes.

“After?”  I asked her.

“I believe it’s the U.S.”

That wasn’t too pleasant to hear about for either of the two countries.  My heart goes out especially to Mother India.  And how we love thee!

Then Janardana, who was with us, remarked, “One report I heard is that, just ten years ago, 70% of India was vegetarian.  Now, it has slid down to 30%.”

That, I would say, is disappointing.  I believe that, in some way, India has been the champion for a commitment to dharma (obligation), and is envied the world over for its strong sense of spirituality.

Are these signs of Kali, the lord who reigns over darkness, infiltrating?

At one of the Cultural casas (homes) in Habana, I attended the function called “Namaste.”  The topic of discussion, led by Professor Maria T. Montes de Oca Choy, was the city of Bombay.  I also had an allotted time—a wholesome fifteen minutesto promote the jewel of a text, Srimad Bhagavatam, to an audience of thirty-five people.

“India had for centuries been under the subjugation of foreign invaders, yet at the heart of Indian culture, bhakti (devotion to the Divine) has allowed for resilience.  It survived so much oppression.”  After my presentation, I pondered current trends in India.  It seems that a strong “me” culture can threaten and take the shine away from so many great values upheld for millennia.

May the Source be with you!


8 km

No comments: