Sunday 1 January 2017

Tuesday, December 27th, 2016

Toronto, Ontario

Time and Mindful Steps


I was on the phone with a friend who’s been in an alcoholic, upward/downward battle.  He recalled something he heard our guru, Srila Prabhupada, say, that every step taken can be a step of danger.  He was right to reference the remark, which is actually found in shastra (sacred Vedic text).

Nothing could be closer to the truth on this point, whether taken metaphorically or practically. Certainly when I braved winter this night, it was hard to keep balance on my feet on the ground.  I might have scored better on skates than shoes.  Even though I knew from the first step below the outdoor stairs that “slippery” would be the experience of an hour-and-a-half walk, I was determined not to turn back once I hit the sidewalk.  I was not going to be a wimp and so toughed it out.

I counted four slips only on the seven kilometre trek.  Not bad for a treacherous walk,” I thought.  I was just driven to get my distance in.  It’s important not to fail in this.  No excuses.  Life gets busy and full with a monk’s obligations.  You pray for time to shape-up for the task.

Prioritize through the day, and the time needed usually works itself out.  God is there, after all, to help in such matters.  And I do often keep in mind the phrase from the Bhagavad-gita, where it is said by Bhagavan (the Supreme Divine), “Time I am!”

It is truly a profound statement.  Every day, hour and moment is precious—a jewel or gem when utilized for Divine intent.

May the Source be with you!


7km

No comments: