Friday 17 March 2017

Tuesday, March 14th, 2017
Toronto, Ontario


Newness


“Whatever is dead must go!” was my morning mood.  A good soak of the feet in some good Epsom salts in water did a great job of separating the old from the new—skin.

I believe you know what I’m talking about.  Old skin starts to peel off, and in some places, in an elastic-type of dynamic.  It is nice to reveal new skin and start afresh until it’s time for that covering to also go.  “A new lease on life,” is an expression that denotes a new start, much like being energized, repaired or rejuvenated.

I remember roaming the streets during my college days (brief as they were) on that quest, checking out different spiritual groups and churches.  I was truly looking for something new’.  I didn’t just want to follow a dry routine of life where I ‘wake up in the morning, slug down a cup of coffee and go to the office for eight hours’.  I was pining for something different.  Lo and behold I met these bald-headed creatures who were dressed in what appeared to be orange bedsheets, and they gave me a ‘new’ optional way of life.

In the 70s,  it was hard to find a vegetarian.  Well, these monks were purely into the non-violence.  I took a fancy to that mode of life and their way of mindfulness. “Let me try this out,” said my excited mind.  “Let me shed my moderate hippy-ism and see what the ancients from India used to do.”

I gave it a shot and I got sold on it.  Forty-four years later and I’m still at it.  I’m still shedding skin and feeling a newness every day.

May the Source be with you!


2 km

No comments: