Thursday 13 April 2017

Friday, April 7th, 2017

Scarborough, Ontario

Don’t Take It Personally

One of the worst feelings anyone can encounter is the feeling of rejection.

It was approaching 11:00 p.m. and I wasn’t familiar with the area.  I was told I would be reaching the subway station, the city’s transit entrance, after two kilometres of walking, but there was no sign of it. I saw a pedestrian coming, a woman, and I thought I’d ask directions.  She had huge head-phones on.  When I spoke and tried to gesture for attention, she just walked right past me, absorbed in her listening.

That didn’t feel too good, although it was not anything major.

On the previous night, I spent some time with a young father who’s going through a tough time. Without pointing fingers as to who’s right or who’s wrong, his life partner let it be known that the relationship is not for life, and to leave the house (the one he built).  He was expressing pain, especially because children are involved.

Rejection is hard on a person.

Actually, I walked this night, returning home after viewing the documentary, Walking: The Wisdom  of the Road, which features a group of individuals, myself included, who each went through a period of some rejection in life, but who came to some resolution. https://www.facebook.com/wisdom4theroad/

Michael Oesch is the producer/director of this excellently crafted film not yet released.  Watching the almost finished product, along with the others in the film, is what made me late.

I finally happened on the subway and then it was announced that all passengers exit the train since it needed servicing.  Everyone got out.  No one took it personally.  Another train came. 

After the ride, with just another two kilometres to walk, I reached my destination.  People that I passed smiled at me.  It was alright in the end.

May the Source be with you!


5 km

No comments: