Sunday 6 August 2017

Friday, August 4th, 2017

Eureka, Utah

Utah is Sweet

When I stepped out of the home of Charu and Vaibhavi, readying myself for the ride to my starting point, the moon was an amazing orange tone.  The out-of-doors always presents itself with more drama, sensations, beauty and adventures than any indoor dynamic.

Hayagriva had spotted a bear, yesterday, a few feet from him.  That encounter with a black bear was the first sighting of one on this U.S. trip.  Curtis and I met a woman early this morning who was carrying her pet ferret, who goes by the name “Alvin.”  Cute!  And overnight, we all stayed at Charu’s llama farm, admiring the darn attractive things.

Yes, nature, animals and pets are part and parcel of this walk, but it’s also people.  Yes, people.  They have been so good to me.  Utah is the best.  I get ride offers all the time.  In Spanish Fork, within the city’s limits, motorists were stopping to offer a ride to destination wherever.  Today, in the countryside, moving toward the historic mining town, Eureka, I lost count of how many occasions like that which occurred this morning.

One fellow on his way to Salt Lake City saw me, felt pity as I sat tired by the side of the mountain, and offered a ride.  I decided to take him up on his offer because fatigue and heat had indeed overcome me, but it was only up to the point of where my crew was.  I relaxed, lay down, had some almond milk and then was driven back to the point where I left off.

Eureka was interesting, especially that rustic and original cabin of Orrin Porter Rockwell aka Peter, who was like a hunting ferret for the infamous outlaws of the time. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_Rockwell

May the Source be with you!

20 mi




No comments: