Tuesday 1 August 2017

Monday, July 31st, 2017

Toronto / Salt Lake City

Going For the Finish


Upon landing in Salt Lake City, the Air Canada flight pilot informed us of  95°F weather outside.  That’s warm.  I was met by my trusted brahmachari team, Hayagriva, Marshal and now also Curtis Taylor from Calgary, to drive us to Helper, a town in Utah.  This is a location close to where I reconvene the U.S. walk.

I had been telling everyone back home in Canada that it’s the last leg of my trek.  “It will take forty-five days to complete.  I won’t see you for a month and a half.  I’ll be going through mountain, desert and green regions, finishing off at San Francisco.”

While at the airport in Toronto, I e-mailed my dear godsister, Malati, who had attended the first Ratha Yatra (Chariot Festival) outside of India, fifty years ago.  That was in San Francisco, somewhere near the Pacific, and that’s the actual route I anticipate taking.  It would be a celebratory walk.  Fifty years of Krishna Consciousness on the west coast of America is something worth honouring, and I'm glad to be part of it in a unique way, by doing all this walking.

In fact, living the life of a monk is unique in this day and age of sensual pursuits.  I mentioned to Curtis over the phone, before he embarked on a long bus journey from Calgary, “You’re a misfit like I am.  We don’t fit in to this materialistic society, so come, join our team and give it a try.  Let’s celebrate it together.”

He responded immediately and purchased that bus ticket.  Good for him and for us.

May the Source be with you!

0 km

No comments: