Thursday 28 September 2017

Monday, September 25th, 2017

Toronto, Ontario

What People Said!

I have written before about people’s interesting reactions to the robes I wear when out in public, walking along the street.  Early this morning, I received some new responses.

It started with a man, quite intoxicated, on Bloor Street.  “Hey, are you with the circus?”

Then on Yonge Street, which becomes rajasically (passionately) vibrant, especially on a sticky, hot evening like tonight, when just about everyone’s out and about, “Oh monkeeeey!” said the woman and then apologetically retracted, “I mean monk.”  There’s a question of whether or not she’d had a few.

I do take pride in wearing my monastic clothes.  From all that I’ve read, our guru, Srila Prabhupada, held a fearless countenance as he walked the streets of New York.  He carried himself like “an aristocrat.”  Hayagriva, his first student, had said that of him after their first meeting.  I believe Prabhupada wanted us (his students) to dress smartly and not necessarily like an avadhuta, one who is uncaring about attire and behavior, yet renounced.

As I walk on Yonge, I have to keep in mind, upon recalling my early years on the street in a dhoti (lower garment), that if you walk over a subway vent, when the train underneath goes by, the hot wind suddenly shoots up.  It can be embarrassing when clad in a dhoti.

The finishing steps of my early night walk on Yonge were met with nods from several people.  One young fellow in T-shirt and shorts looked at my clothes from afar and as he got closer said, “Yah wanna trade suits?  I like it.”

May the Source be with you!
7 km

No comments: