Sunday 1 October 2017

Thursday, September 28th, 2017

Toronto, Ontario

Something Came Up in the Class

I delivered the message, or class as we say, from the Bhagavatam, Canto 10, chapter entitled, “Description of Autumn.”  In the purport of today’s verse, number 15, an explanation is given of what is considered beautiful in a person of devotion; it is the quality of tolerance.  Those of us in the class dwelt on and discussed the topic for a few minutes.  Chaitanya likened tolerance to a tree….

Even the word ‘resplendent’ was used, to further enhance the quality of tolerance.  Generally, the mind of one devoted is focused and peaceful.  A strong wind may come to agitate and cause huge waves in the ocean.  Similarly, the forces of temptation may come to attempt an agitation within the mind of a meditator.  But he / she will not be phased.

There is definitely great beauty in the ability to overcome the agitation of desire.

Today, I took a two hour walk to the ravine, I know so well, at the Brickworks.  On both sides of me were well-anchored trees to remind me of tolerance.  A pond of water, very still, was also there to tell me to “keep calm.”

I interrupted the walk here and there to capture their physical aesthetics, but reflecting on today’s verse, I could appreciate the added beauty that such features of nature supply.  I clicked away with my cellphone’s camera and I’ve periodically glanced at the images even after I lodged myself into the space of our ashram.

Beauty is truly everywhere.  It’s in your own backyard.

May the Source be with you!

8 km

No comments: