Monday 18 December 2017

Friday, December 15th, 2017

Etobicoke, Ontario

The Right Food and Routine

They sat me down for dinner and before me was presented a very cooked-down veggie prep, popular in Mumbai—a mix of cauliflower, peppers, potatoes and tomatoes spread on a bun.  There was also exquisite salad with balsamic dressing, a butternut squash soup and wraps.  I was spoiled.  Oh, and biryani was also on the menu.  I try to avoid rice preps.  I find rice bloats me up more than I need.  I’m still a sucker for wild rice though.  It’s actually a food in the aquatic-grass category and is not a grain.

Our program, held in the household of Nimai and Moksha Lila, was not all to do with potluck food.  The gathering of several families is a spiritual-social event.

A reading from the Bhagavad-gita is included and this evening I was asked to conduct a class on Chapter 2, to discuss sense control.  It is a lovely section of the Gita, summarizing the basics of the entire philosophical output of Krishna’s message.  The lesson concentrated on regulating one’s gratification of the senses.  Enjoying your physical body and also the pleasures of the more subtle self are not taboo.  They are controlled through training and through the practice of family life.  “Don’t go overboard in sensual pleasures,” is the message I addressed.  “Fill your thoughts with the Absolute and channel or dovetail the sensual tendencies.”

It is a happy bunch that gets together once a week.  A good model.  Friday evenings are special for those who are routine.

May the Source be with you

0 km

No comments: