Tuesday 3 April 2018

Friday, March 30th, 2018

Durban, South Africa

First Night of the Show

The young man who plays the leading role in our drama is Boikanya from Pretoria.  He told me, after his splendid performance, “I’ve never done anything like this before.”

Boikanya was like a hot ocean of salt water when we embraced.  He was hot and sweaty, like all the boys whom I exchanged hugs with, to express my gratitude for their effort.  With the girls, I offered my pranams and an additional air hug.  Remember, I'm a monk.  All the performers were in thick costumes, on a stage with hot lights overhead.  The movement of air was almost nil and the dance/martial arts moves built up body heat.  The audience was no less than two thousand—a packed house.

Boikanya said, “It was scary.”

It’s understandable that he was nervous.  He plays the role of Karna, a tragic character from the epic, The Mahabharat.  Before he came to Durban, he had never heard of the story before, let alone the main character.

I let him know he was a natural as an actor playing a warrior.  “It’s in you.  It’s like walking.  We are designed for that.  Walking takes little training.  Totally natural.”

I really appreciated that Boikanya and all the other marvelous boys and girls in this production of, “The Queen’s Secret,” gave it their all.  The audience stood up in approval when the entertainers came for their curtain call.  And that was over the recording of Nina Simone’s soothing voice in “Here Comes the Sun.”

I love that piece of music.  It’s like the voice of an elder Kunti, Karna’s mother, expressing resolve.

May the Source be with you!

5 km


No comments: